Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Alarm Clock Faith

I have had an unusual experience occur repeatedly over the past year. I will happen to glance at my alarm clock at night, just when I'm getting ready to go to bed, and I see the numbers 11:11. Then I started seeing it on my microwave sometimes during the day as well. After a while, it became almost comical as I continued to glance at my clock just when the 11:11 happened to appear.

Then it dawned on me that God was speaking to me. So, I asked Him where I would find 11:11 and He directed me to Hebrews 11:11. The verse is talking about Abraham and Sarah and how she was able to conceive a son late in her years and then it says, "because she judged Him faithful who had promised."

Wow! God has a way of zeroing in on our hearts and pinpointing where we need Him to come and change the way we see Him. A subtle shift in my thinking had taken place in a particular area of my heart where I had experienced repeated disappointment.

I was having a difficult time mustering up the faith to see the thing occur that I knew was His will and heart for me. What I had done as so many others have done as well, was to begin to take the load of faith onto myself instead of letting my full trust rest in Him who is faithful. When I begin to turn my attention away from Him and on to myself and my own ability to produce enough faith, the result is always disappointing.

There is not a promise that God has failed to keep. Who has a record like that? That is why we can always judge Him faithful, simply because He never fails. Folks, this is solid ground to stand upon.

Through my funny alarm clock 11:11 experience, I feel like I've been given a key for me that sets my heart at rest. Now when the accuser comes and whispers "If you just had more faith, you would receive your promise", I can say, "My faith may be small, but I am judging Him faithful who promised".

These few lines from an old hymn, "My Hope is Built", echo my new found declaration:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus' name.

On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand.

-Edward Mote (1797-1874)

No comments:

Post a Comment