Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lifting the Veil

I use to enjoy the 3-D pictures that made their debut in the early 90's. I have no idea how they work, but after what seems like an eternity of gazing at a picture made out of random images, suddenly a picture that you couldn't see before begins to emerge and you feel as if you've been let in on a big secret meant for only a chosen few. Once you've seen the picture, you find it hard to believe that you couldn't see the hidden picture before.

Sometimes we read a familiar passage of scripture and because it has become so familiar we forget that God's revelation is often hidden. And like the 3-D pictures, if we will take the time to stop, ponder, and gaze into His Word, the veil will be lifted and a whole new meaning or revelation will often be revealed for those who will take the time to look and wait upon the Spirit to breath upon the word. This doesn't necessarily do away with the previous understanding, but serves to deepen, expand and broaden our understanding.

God doesn't force us to seek after Him, but He is "a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him".

As a child I use to love dyeing, decorating, and hiding Easter eggs. Even more fun was the search for the hidden eggs. Invariably, weeks after the holiday had passed, a strange smell would begin to emerge in the house, and sure enough, a very rotten egg would then be found. Isn't it sad to think that God has revelation hidden for us that we might never find just because we chose not to look or gave up the search too soon?

One of the prayers that I'm breathing often is "Lord, cause me to be hungry". I want His gift of desperation and hunger to drive me to seek and find the treasures and mysteries of the Kingdom. I know from His Word that I can not live by bread alone, but in order to truly live I must have the Word(rhema)that proceeds from the mouth of God.

I have heard it said that we live out what we truly believe. The Word tells us that the mysteries and secrets of the Kingdom are part of our inheritance as sons and daughters of God. Ephesians says that we have been blessed with "every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ". The life we live here on this earth is a reflection and demonstration of what we believe. We will only search if we believe there is a treasure and we will only search if we believe the treasure can be ours when once we find it.

Our thinking has to be renewed until we come into full understanding and agreement with the fact that we have a very good God and He has very good gifts and mysteries of the Kingdom that He delights in revealing to us His children.

I love the way the Psalmist is passionate about the law in Psalm 119:97-99,
"Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. You, through Your
commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; For they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation."

If the Psalmist under the Old Covenant could find such delight in meditating upon the law, how much more should we, the redeemed sons and daughters of the New Covenant, find even greater delight in uncovering the mysteries hidden for us?

The truth is, our search for hidden truth will always lead us to Him. He is the prize. That is why Paul in Colossians 2 says, "My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

So, as we step full into this Christmas season when we are bombarded with shopping, lights, tinsel, and Santa's on every corner, let us not forget the simple shepherds and curious wisemen who searched until they found this same Jesus that we seek today. And just as they found him in an unexpected place, so will we.

Let the search begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment