Monday, September 28, 2009

The Laughing Box

I sat in rapt attention as the speaker finished up her message on inner healing and the need for us to have Jesus heal the wounds of our heart. Once again I was met with a challenge that I had faced many times. The Holy Spirit had pointed out to me during the message my need for healing in a specific area of my heart. I have learned over the years to quickly obey His voice in these matters because He is extremely persistent, I have found, and I might as well get the business over with instead of putting it off.

But, this time was different. As I attempted to press into His presence a wave of hopelessness overwhelmed me making it difficult to sense His nearness.

The offense had been repeated many times and so the wound in my heart was painful and deep. I had given Him my pain before in this matter, but somehow it always managed to find its way back into my heart. It seemed that the more I was offended the more difficult I found it to forgive the next time it happened, creating in my heart a web of unforgiveness. In spite of this, my heart was willing to forgive, but my hopelessness revealed that somehow my perception needed to change.

I cried out to God and through my tears said, “Please Father, show me how to set my heart. I don’t know how to do this. Show me what I need to do. I give it to You.”

As I waited in His presence with upturned face, I heard Him say these words to me, “We need to put that in the “Laughing Box”.

Then it was as if we were in a room in heaven, and He said, “We have a place for you to put those things that are too difficult for you. We call it ‘the Laughing Box’. He opened up a large trunk-like box and as He opened up the lid He began to laugh and His laugh caught me off guard at first. Then the longer He laughed, I began to laugh as well, and pretty soon we were both laughing. There was something different about His infectious laugh, and I knew intuitively that it was a laugh of healing and it was a laugh of hope. The longer I laughed, the more my perception began to change and the more I could see things from His viewpoint. Pretty soon the lies of hopelessness and defeat that the enemy had been speaking to me seemed utterly ridiculous….in fact, they were hilarious!

After our laughter began to calm, and we had wiped away our happy tears, the Father closed the lid to the “Laughing Box”. He encouraged me to place the difficulties and ‘impossible’ situations in my life in the box and He turned to me and shared that He and the angels often go to the “Laughing Box” and lift the lid just to laugh at the lies of the enemy. They laugh, not at our pain, but at the enemy’s frantic and futile attempts to separate us from His love. They laugh because they know that we have His grace as our inheritance and that He has already seated us in heavenly places with Him, and if He be for us, who can be against us? They laugh because they know that once we began to see things from His perspective and His reality, our present difficulties will not seem so difficult.

I have a feeling that I’ll be making more trips to the Laughing Box in the future and I don’t mind. After all, I’ll be in good company.

But God in heaven merely laughs! He is amused by all their puny plans.” Psalm 2:4 (The Living Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment